Timing of Feed Gears in Kearney & Trecker Models #2K and #3K Milling Machines
This procedure applies to #2K and #3K plain, universal, and vertical milling machines. Refer to Kearney & Trecker Parts Manual, Publication 99-743, formerly known as Publication KR-20. Refer to Figure 13, "Knee Miscellaneous Parts", and Figure 14, "Feed Distribution Box", for the parts referred to herein. A copy is shown here for reference. The following is for a Model #2K machine. When timing a #3K machine, just substitute "3K" for "2K" in the paragraphs below. For example, substitute "3K-K136" for "2K-K136." It is important that timing be performed properly whenever it is suspected that the relationship of the timing gears or shafts has been disturbed, or a clash between feed gears and extensive damage may result.
- Set the Feed Distribution Box to the lowest feed rate with the 2K-K136 Feed Dial Lever, as shown on the 2K-K129 Feed Dial.
- Remove the 2K-J63 Feed Change Gear Housing and orient the 2K-J81 Feed Change Cross Shaft so that the key slots for the 2K-J79 and 2K-J80 Keys are facing straight up at a 12:00 o’clock position.
- The 2K-J68 Secondary Change Intermittent Gear and the 2K-J69 Intermittent Gear-Driver should both have the "0" stamped on the gears facing straight up at the 12:00 o’clock position.
- Remove the 2K-J86 Feed Selector Housing. With the 2K-J82 Secondary Shifter Cam Driving Gear and the 2K-J91 Primary Shifter Cam Driver Gear installed on the 2K-J81 Feed Change Cross Shaft, the "0" marks on the 2K-J91 Primary Shifter Cam Driver Gear and the 2K-J88 Primary Shifter Cam should align facing each other. A check is to see that the two small tangs on the right end of the 2K-J81 Feed Change Cross Shaft face up and down at the 6:00 o’clock and 12:00 o’clock positions, respectively, and lined up with the mating 2K-J91 Primary Shifter Cam Driving Gear when the "0" marks are in their proper positions.
- After alignment and re-assembly, rotate the 2K-K136 Feed Dial Lever through one complete rotation of the 2K-K129 Feed Dial and recheck the alignment of the "0" marks and the shifting gear teeth for full engagement of the teeth.
- A final check would be to engage the 2K-E6 Main Clutch with the 2K-A74 Starting Lever (horizontal machines) or the 2K-B2 Starting Lever (vertical machines) with the main line breaker or contactor disconnected so that no power is applied. Then manually rotate the 2K-E19 Pulley so that that the 2K-E104 Feed Drive Shaft rotates, which in turn rotates the shifting gears in the Feed Distribution Box. Move the 2K-L25 Table Trip Lever left or right to engage the table feed and check for movement of the table. An alternate test is to engage the 2K-K75 Cross or Elevating Reverse Levers. Try this with various feed rates with the 2K-K136 Feed Dial Lever. This check is to ensure that no multiple combinations of the sliding gears 2K-H13, 2K-H14 and 2K-H35 are locked up with their mating 2K-H23, 2K-H27, and 2K-H28 gears before power is applied.
Return to Milling Parts Homepage
17401 Nichols St. Bldg. "L"
Huntington Beach, California 92647
All Rights Reserved